Monday, July 24, 2006

Feeling helpless?

Some years ago when I was still in the high school I cane across an idea which I thought is super cool! I basically decided to commit to it after being inspired by a TV show.

Well let me start by telling the story from the very beginning. I was watching a TV show & the presenter was saying that we should follow some kind of a diet. Before you jump to the conclusion that I am talking about dull food diets, I say to you "hold your horses!" This wasn't the kind of food diets which you hear about every once in a while on the lady O's show. No, sir/ Madam! :p

The diet I am referring to is one which says cut off the amount of "news" you watch, hear or read on a daily basis! I found it a brilliant idea especially at that time since I was fed up of feeling so helpless hearing about the killings in the whole world :os

The news reached a point where it is not news no more! For god's sake seeing dead rotten bodies of humans became an a pretty much of an ordinary scene. That isn't normal.

So I thought to myself >> I found it! :D

I will stop watching the so called "news"! No more blood sheds! No more natural disasters and kidnapping around the globe! Believe it or not, it worked more than fine with me! In fact I was extremely happy with the results. I thought of myself as the new Einstein! Lol!

That felt good, I have to you! :p :D

As days passed life stroke me with new ways of bringing me down & letting me taste one of the feelings which I hate the most, that's feeling helpless. I bet Enistien was scratching his head at this point and thinking: Huh? :D

The other day I was talking to a friend whom needed some kind of help while I couldn't do a thing to help with the matter. Again I felt helpless! May be I should change my attitude? May be I should loosen up a little bit and stop being that "superman"! May be I should try living with such a feeling instead of fighting it or even worse running away!

PS:: I am still committed to my decision. I don't want, read or listen to the news on a daily. I do only when I feel like it :)

There's no use of knowing that a wacko murdered a nine year old in my neighborhood or that a plane crashed in China! It wouldn't change a thing. It would just make me feel worse as a human being. No, Thanks! :)

PSS:: Some people enjoy long posts while some others get bored reading them. I hope you enjoyed mine.

8 Person(s) Gone Banana!:

Noors said...

I can't watch the news for too long, it's just too depressing.

It's good to be updated with what's going on around the world, but it also gets to a level after which it just becomes too much and it honestly puts you down!

And yeah, I hate feeling helpless too, you can't stop the feeling of responsibility to do something, yet your hands are just tied because there isn't anything that you can do!

Anonymous said...

I agree with you about the "news" It turned into Drama instead of information, but there is really nothing that you can do about it.
The only thing that I don't understand is your despair about the helpless sensation. Don't waste yourself on that. If you feel it just do what you can to help somebody.You can help somebody across the world or your neighbour and it can be anything but it will make you feel better.

HA! Entertainment said...

When I'm feeling helpless, I usually help my mom making some cakes. It makes me feel better.

I like the drama I watch in movie, not the drama in real life. :p

nosa said...

every1 here seems to have the same Rule of not watching news! hehe well i dont.. n iv sworen not to enter any political fourms coz thy r just usless ! my blood pressure goes up n i get soo mad but nothing can be done.. they will still be hates to [us] well no1 lies [us] becouse they all know we're strong n we can do anything.. we only have to [UNITE] which is imposssible ..

as u mentioned man.. watching roton bodies n feeling upset then after 5 minuts eating a giggling feast with the entire family.. now that's soo not normal.. n that's what [they] wanted n have accomplished.. we say boycot n we go 2 weeks [Max] then go bk to normal coz we got used to [our] sistrs n brothers being killed..
this world is all wrong coz they r no [True] rules n followers of the True [Relegion] .. allah elmusta3aaan! u think >> u feel usless & helpless !

stop feeeling helpless coz every human have limits.. ur or we're not a fake superman or spider man :) welcome to the crule [world]!

PS :: i enjoy long posts ! >> but they have to be intresting!!

Anonymous said...

wow nice blog :)
i enjoyed the post actually :D
ya well nobody wants to hear bad news but even if we don't people will talk or u'll by mistake read it on the internet ya3ni eventually u'll recieve the bad news :s oh anyway lol

HA! Entertainment said...

yoohhhoooo are you here... ???

Arabian Princess said...

I stoped watching news after Iraq's war .. it was very depressnig back then .. and I was and everything was happy .. and suddnly lebenon war started and I couldnt not watch the news!! so I started and the depression came back with it .. and I really cried when I watched Qana's kids ..

now I am back to no news, I guess unless something big comes up, its then when I am drawn back to news.

Anonymous said...

:)

I agree on every word u said :)

lool, it is like u described how i feel not every day but every now and then!

i stopped watching news since Phalastine problems became more and more when i was at high school and i know im better now though im so into knowing whats going around the world but it just hurts to know the truth sometimes

btw, i get bored with long posts but i enjoyed urs very much ... keep them posting