Friday, October 13, 2006

Industrial Training Course

Let me first give you some idea about who I am and what I do. I am a mechatronics undergraduate engineer. Most of the people start giving me looks, strange ones & sometimes freaky too! :p That happens whenever I speak out, “mechatronics” , sometimes I feel like being an alien from the outer space for just saying that! :s

Alright, mechatronics is the study of mechanical & electronics engineering along with computer programming. As you’ve all guessed by now, it’s quite a new field of study in the area. Not Oman only but the Middle East as a whole. Most probably that’s due to the fact that we don’t have so many industries taking place in the area.

My summer training course took place in a leading consultancy company in the Oil Field industry and watering sector in Oman. Prior to having my training course I was picturing working as an Engineer in a certain way, but that picture has been slightly altered. I guess the picture I had was of a field engineer. That’s someone who’s working on site, the dominating frame was of an oil field. However I ended up having my training course in office where engineers work from 7am till 4.30pm indoors! Now that was a shock! Loool! I am not an office guy! I am more of a field engineer character. I need to move around and get my hands dirty. I love doing things with my hands. It gives me that feeling of satisfaction! Those of you who like drawing, painting or anything similar to that will understand what I am trying to convey :)

That’s being said, I did my best in my training course. I worked on my technical skills, tried to enhance them and at the same time I showed enthusiasm in learning new things. On the other hand I spent a decent amount of time on developing my communication skills. I met a number of great people & I made some friendship relations which I am very happy and proud of.

Upon completion of the training course I had to submit my final report. There was this question in the guidelines saying “Would you like to work in the office where you conducted your training?” My answer was a big No, No ! :p

My answer is based on two things: the first is what I already mentioned. I feel like I need to get some experience on site. That’s basically in the Oil field or a company where I can deal with applications of mechatronics. The upcoming industries in Sohar seem to be very promising. Sohar Aluminum is one of the companies leading me list.

The other reason is the low payments the company is offering. Before you all jump on me & say “STOP! Stop being such a materialistic”. Before you do that, I want to say this to you:” Please stop being such an idealistic!” :)

When you work from 7 in the morning up to 4.30 in the evening at least & that happens only rarely. Usually you as an engineer need to sit in the office to finish the piles of work you have till 6pm & sometimes even 7pm. Add to that going to the office on Thursdays, even though that’s supposed to be an official holiday! Now when that happens to you and you are not well paid that ain’t fun! In other words you are socially isolated, doomed for the rest of your life!

I mean people “Come onn!” My freedom is worth more than that! My social life is worth more than that!! Why would I settle for such an amount if I can double it somewhere else or even triple it! I wanna be rich and young instead of a rich old creepy guy! I don’t want to be paying the money on those doctors, no offense :p. who will leave me bankrupt. No, Thanks!

So this was it for my lovely training period :D

Now the floor is open for your Questions! Please don’t hesitate to ask! :D :XD: :XD: :XD:

PS: I wasn't sure if I should post this piece of writing or not. I was thinking that "some" people might not be interested to read about my training! But a friend advised me to go for it! So thanks a million my friend :) You know who you are ;) :D

PSS: I finished writing the hard copy of this post while I was sitting in the waiting hall in the eye clinic in SQU Hospital. Stay tuned for our upcoming update titled ‘ The eye clinic waiting hall’

8 Person(s) Gone Banana!:

Anonymous said...

Hahaha thats a scary name for sure mechatronics or whatevr :P

Noors said...

I can't believe my eyes. It's an update!

I understand what you say when you talk about finding a place that would pay you well for spending all these long hours at work. Docs here don't get a very high salary, and they work late too. Damn they work overnight and continue the next day.

And i can't believe you were in SQUH!

sensation said...

dark princess: I am afraid it is! :p

Noors: loooooooool! I know how you feel! :p
Well believe it or not, I had this post in my notebook for almost two weeks before I published it! :p :D

Yeah, the same goes for engineers working on sites! They work for like 24 hrs and sometimes even 48 hrs contiously! But those guys get really well paid for that! ;)

Huh? Why wouldn't you believe that I was in SQUH? I even saw you passing by! :p looool :D >> j/k
Seems you have your current rotation there! ;) :D

Anonymous said...

lo0o0ol great u don't waste time :p
nice experience u know i haven't hear about this "mechatronics" i had to look in the dictionary :D hehe
well intresting u're a hard worker and realistic i liked this part:
(Before you all jump on me & say “STOP! Stop being such a materialistic”. Before you do that, I want to say this to you:” Please stop being such an idealistic!”)
ya i understand wut u're saying coz i'm suffering too and after all this i should get wut i deserve

anywho i had fun readin this post thanx for sharring and keep on updating us ^_^

3anooda said...

hehehehehe u will hate me but im stupidly picky like this. the content of the post was totally ruined when u said "But a FRIED advised me to go for it"

krkrkrkrkkrkrkkrkrkr

Anonymous said...

interesting..Mechatronics..

me too..i can't picture myself sitting in an office for 12 hrs!!

i'd die


liked ur blog btw..and ur glasses as well lol

sensation said...

Anonymous:: :p
I am glad that liked my post ;) :D

3anooda:: I hate you already! :)
Naaaah! I am kidding! looooool!
Well it's a typo which is easy to tell that I didn't mean! Plus you got what I wanted to say! :p
But you know, Ma sha Allah you notice things! WOW! That's a quality! :)
Btw I am honred to have you here posting on my blog ;) :D

Nella:: Welcome to my blog! I am honored! :D
I am glad that you liked both: my blog and my glasses ;) :D

Anonymous said...

nice blog maaaan :)
i`m the camera man :P